Halloween 7/24/365

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 1- That means Halloween is tomorrow!

Hard to believe. 4 months have basically vanished. So now it's the last minute preparations. Basically all that is left is the entrance/exit sheeting. All of the halls are done. The cave eyes were finally installed after I shorted out the light board trying to set up a triggering relay. I had to have Cowlacious overnight another one! I am just going to leave it on all the time during the haunt. The cave room is very small and by the time the eyes turn on and off when guests enter and leave, the effect does not have a chance to get started so leaving it on continuously should be fine.I think it's a pretty cool effect. I put 20 pairs of 'eyes' randomly positioned in the back of the cave. My son Max will have a black mask on with one pair of eyes secured to the top of his head somewhere and will walk forward a couple of steps coming out of the darkness.
I spent about 4 hours last night fussing with the vortex. OK, so we're in New England here where the weather is crap much of the time. We set up the canopy and structure maybe 3 weeks ago and we had in that time span a Noreaster, a bunch of rain and earlier this week a low pressure system with super high humidity and more rain. Last night was the 3 hour vortex test and I swear it took about an hour and a half before the thing would turn on its own! Finally it worked fine, but attention all ghouls who want to build this and live in places with significant weather! It definitely can work, but it does require a fair amount of attention. I was afraid the hoops warped or something despite the fact that the structure is enclosed and the wood is treated. The more you run it, the better it works.
At any rate I finished the sheeting for the back of the vortex and the entry way. Having a completely black exit from the tunnel makes a HUGE difference.
Tomorrow we will set up the sound for the vortex and I need to start practicing my hauntmaster tasks from the control room. We will power everything up and test it!

No comments:

Post a Comment