Halloween 7/24/365

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 64- Map room comes alive with video projection!



That's correct. Video projection adds a whole new dimension to the haunt! Infinite possibilities exist. I did mention we were going to try this out this year and see how it works. What you will need is a projector obviously and in this case I obtained a ready made 'snakes and spiders' dvd. If you are new to this like I am, I strongly recommend that you google 'Jon Hyers' or go to his website outrageous-media.com. The set-up is shown here. I have a dvd player connected to the projector. The projection is a 'live' moving snake on the floor of the crypt which will be visible as soon as the door opens. Now as soon as the guests enter the room, the projection has to be shut off and the room light and other effects will begin. For those interested in trying this, you can angle the projector any direction. I have constructed a 'cage' which will hold the projector at the desired angle.Be careful as these projectors appear to get pretty hot! I plan to line the cage with foil and I will need to test this further and make sure no problems arise after 2-3 hours. I will need an operator to manage the dvd player. The problem comes up here regarding shutting the projection off at the appropriate time. When people start entering the map room they will quickly break into the light cone from the projector and ruin the effect obviously. I have found out that projectors cannot fade out and in without shutting the whole thing off.  There are fairly elaborate electronic mixing boards out there but I don't believe I can budget for that right now so my plan is to build a simple wooden shutter which can be controlled by the operator.

No comments:

Post a Comment